Thursday, January 5, 2012

Overview of 2011 & Great Moments in 2011 CONTEST!


Blogging isn't my forte as some of you may have noticed.  It's difficult for me to look back at 2011 and write about all these amazing things I've experienced and lessons I've learned.  Part of the reason is that I'm not a great writer and the 2nd part of it is that I had a year of a lot of little experiences and lessons. 
2011 began what many people call "being settled".  Mike and I had moved to Memphis and settled in our apartment a few months earlier in late 2010.  We met great people then, and continued to meet great people throughout 2011, but we had a great community established.  We don’t have kids, no pets, no more schooling…for now. We were settled.  We are settled.  For some reason the word “settled” has both a positive and negative connotation to me.  The positive connotation is the feeling of being able to exhale! Ask me about my year at the end of 2010 and this would be a different story. We’ve arrived. We have a place, a car, there isn’t an inevitable “goodbye” hanging over us.  These things are good.  But the negative connotation is the feeling of being stuck.  The feeling of looking back and saying, “What did I do?”  “Where have I gone?”
However, one thing I’ve learned is that this is the real deal.  This is the true test.  Where do I stand?  Can I still tell people about Jesus when I know there’s not a support group waiting to hear about it back home?  Do I still love those I can’t just shut out when I want to?  Am I still a good friend and neighbor when I don’t hear motivating lectures about how to love more than once a week?  The honest answer to these questions, is that it’s hard.  It’s super hard.  I can’t honestly say that I’ve excelled in most or any of these things.  I have a lot more learning to do.  And whether they’re big lessons that slap me in the face or multiple little ones that I have to learn over and over again, I know that I serve a God that doesn’t give up.  He hasn’t given up on me. Or on you….if anyone’s out there reading this.
So what do I see when I look back on 2011…
-a faithful God
-great friends
-a great church
-good time with family
-a husband that loves me for reasons I have yet to find out
-gifts that God has given me the opportunity to use and enhance
-a forgiving God
-lots of laughs



So what does this all have to do with my photo business….everything and nothing :)
I guess I did have one big event of 2011…I started a business…it’s called Gretchen Shaw Photography.  You may have heard of it.  This journey is not nearly over.  I Definitely learned a lot of little and some big things in the whole business arena.  I made some dumb mistakes, conquered some fears,….I hope I brought smiles to peoples faces, and I had fun!  A photograph is a powerful thing.  I still believe that and I look forward to more powerful moments in 2012.

Here are highlights of 2011.  A Big Thanks to all the great people in these photos. 

Here’s the FUN part:  Go to my Facebook Fan Page and VOTE ("like") for your favorite picture! The winner will receive an awesome and large Gallery Wrap!

Contest ends Friday the 13th at noon!


















No comments:

Post a Comment